If you have textured hair, then you know that taking care of your curls is a unique challenge. But don't fret! We're here to help with our top tips for happy, healthy curls. Just follow these simple tips and you'll be on your way to gorgeous, bouncy curls in no time!
- Invest in a good quality sulphate free shampoo and silicone free conditioner: This will help to keep your hair hydrated and prevent build-up from products. Your shampoo should be a low sudd shampoo to avoid stripping your hair of its natural oils. Deep condition regularly: Deep conditioning is key for textured hair, as it helps to hydrate and replenish moisture. Once a week, apply a deep conditioner to your hair and leave it on for at least 30 minutes. Be sure to squish to condish: This means to squish water and product into your hair. When you're applying your conditioner, really work it in and focus on your ends, use a wide-tooth comb: A wide-tooth comb is much gentler on your hair than a brush, and will help to avoid breakage. When combing through your hair, be sure to start from the bottom and work your way up the hair.
- Use products specifically designed for textured hair. In addition to using a shampoo and conditioner combo that's right for your curls, you'll also want to use other products specifically designed for textured hair. Look for leave-in conditioners, serums, and oils that will help hydrate and nourish your curls.
- Avoid heat styling: Heat can damage your hair, so try to air dry or use heat-free styling methods instead. If you do use heat-styling tools, be sure to use a heat protectant product beforehand. Be gentle when drying your hair. When you get out of the shower, be sure to gently dry your hair with a cotton t shirt or microfibre towel, instead of rubbing it vigorously with a towel. Be gentle with your hair: avoid rough brushing or towel drying, as this can cause breakage.
- Sleep on a satin pillowcase. Sleeping on a regular cotton pillowcase can cause breakage and fizziness but sleeping on a satin pillowcase can help prevent those issues. If you don't want to invest in a new pillowcase, you can also tie a satin scarf around your head before going to bed.
- Touch your hair less often. It can be tempting to constantly play with your curly locks, but the more you touch your hair, the more likely it is to frizz out. So, hands off!
By following these simple tips, you'll be on your way to happy, healthy curls in no time! Do you have any curly haircare tips that you swear by? Share them with us in the comments below!